Friday, July 6, 2007

Holy Trip to Pushkar

Namaste! I am Mohan Kumar Pandey an NRI, presently living in USA. For last ten years, I have been residing in San Fransisco along with my family. As my roots are linked to India, so I use to visit India almost every year. Here I would like to tell, that my favourite hobby is extensive traveling and exploring the tourist destinations. On my last trip to India I got a chance to visit the Pushkar town of Rajasthan. When I reached the town to my utter surprise, the town still carrying its rich cultural heritage. I was entirely spellbound by the congregated beauties of hundreds of temples and lively ghats. My tour guide informed me that Pushkar is the abode as well as Yagnabhumi of Lord Brahma, the Creator of Universe.

Pushkar is noted all over the world for its Brahma Temple and enchanting Pushkar lake. Besides, Pushkar is also known for its annual cattle fair held every year in the month of November. I was fortunate enough that I visited the town during the festive season. Cattles such as camels, horses and lakhs of visitors were congregated in the fair. A number of events were the highlights of the fair. I passed the whole day exploring the fair and enjoying various events, the camel race was special one. In addition to these, I enjoyed a good sleep in the specially arranged camps.

As no pilgrimage to Pushkar is considered complete without a holy dip in Pushkar, so it was mandatory for me to take a dip in the Puhskar lake. Next morning, I set off for the holy Pushkar lake which was thronged with devotees, taking dip in the lake. I couldn’t stop from taking the holy dip, truly, after taking a dip in the lake I felt all my sins had been washed. Before leaving the town I went to the fair again and bought a traditional turban from a little boy in exchange of 30 rupees only. Even today I have that turban which reminds me, my holy trip to quite town of Pushkar.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You are absolutely rite as Pushkar forms a fascinating location and an appropriate ground for the annual religious 'Cattle Fair. I ve been there and i stil cherish tat time....The Brahma Temple is the most important temple there, and in fact its the only Brahma temple of India so, tis place is a must visit for numerous reasons!

Unknown said...

Hi Mohan, i have read a lot about the fairs and festivals of rajasthan, but never got a chance to participate in any of the festival. After reading your arcticle I am planning a visit to Pushkar, can u plz tell me the exact dates of this year's Pushkar fair.

Unknown said...

Mohan, I have heard that a camel fair is held in Pushkar. Why this fair started at this particular place ? Any link between the pilgimage and this fair ?

Srikant said...

Pushkar is also the only place on Earth where Lord Brahma is worshipped.....i'e been to Pushkar once. Although the lake and the fair were a real treat but the access to the place was really in a bad shape..walked a lot to the place. A gr8 experience though

Unknown said...

You are very fortunate to have visited Pushkar during the festive season of Pushkar Fair. You must now have known a lot about the fiery ways of the Camels. I am very curious to know what are the other events that take place during the Camel festival. I would feel obliged if you give me some insights about this World famous Camel Fair.